Growing up, I was a huge fan of the Nintendo franchise, Zelda in particular. I wanted to challenge my self to see if I could recreate this 8bit game with in flash using Action Script 2.0 and Photoshop. I started off by finding an image with all of the sprite models for the map.
I was able to use Adobe Photoshop CS5 to cut these map tiles into individual .bmp files. Each tile image came out to about 4kb and resulted in about 900 tile images. I then found an image of the over world map.
And cut this up into individual map screen .bmp image files used for reference later on in the process. Each map screen was given a row number and column number as the file name. Example: R0C0.bmp. would be one full map screen and I then went in, using Photoshop, and gave a number to each tile with in the map screen that correlated to each individual tile.bmp file.
This allowed me to quickly build an “screens” array that had sub arrays for each map screen holding a list of each tile file name.
With in this code so far the largest chunk is the screens array. I also have a function called “BuildScreen” that will build each map coming in at about 11ish lines of code. Along with a simple “keyListener” function that allows the end user to use the left right up and down keys to navigate the overworld map so far. Next I want to build the dungeon maps then all of the cave screens. After that I will start to work on links animations and then move on o the monsters per screen and their animations. I have my work cut out for me and this will take me a while to complete but I am up for the challenge. Below you can see what I have done so far. Enjoy and look forward o some more updates on this fun side project.
Posted in Uncategorized by Matt with .